The Notorious Satan Shoes

Emilia McLaughlin '21, Staff Writer

Disclaimer: This article contains content that may not be suitable for younger students.

With the debut of celebrity Lil Nas X’s latest music video of his song “Call Me By Your Name”, which is currently making waves through the internet, it was the perfect time for the artist to capitalize on the spike in his popularity by teaming with art company MSCHF to create the Satan Shoes. Black with “Luke 10:18” (the Bible verse that states “I saw Satan falling like lightning from Heaven”) etched into the side, and a pentagram chain hanging from the front, the shoes make for a certainly bold and devilish fashion statement.

Lil Nas X’s music video deals with his life-long struggle against the homophobic stereotype of homosexuals “going to hell.” In the music video, he embraces the insult he and other members of the LGBT community have historically objected to and dances straight to the underworld. 

MSCHF, the company that created them promised a “vial of blood” was within each pair of shoes. Now after the successful launch of the shoes, 666 pairs created costing $1,018 each, they are now being recalled after Nike filed a successful lawsuit. 

Buyers are being offered a full refund, though according to “Do the Christian Thing and Return Your Lil Nas X Satan Shoes, Company Says,” an article from Vulture.com, “Nike was released from responsibility for issues with shoes that buyers decide to keep.”

The shoes have skyrocketed in value on eBay and other sites, with some pairs now being sold for $6666.66, others $3,000. The art company apparently feels satisfied at least, in that they believe the shoes have already achieved their “artistic purpose.”

Image courtesy of Twitter.