Movie Review: Don’t Look Up

Ashlin Roberts '22, Staff Writer

The newest Netflix Original Don’t Look Up has recently gained lots of traction. The cast is filled with many popular actors and celebrities such as Leonardo DiCaprio, Jennifer Lawrence, Merly Streep, Jona Hill, Timothee Chalamet and many more. Not only is this film hilarious, it also gives many real-life perspectives that most probably haven’t thought of. Another interesting fact about this film is the reason why these specific actors were chosen for these roles. A majority of the actors, like DiCaprio and Streep, are huge global warming advocates that we’re excited to take on a movie with said problems in it. 

Would you listen to proven scientific research or would you listen to the president? The movie Don’t look up follows the story of a young Michigan state student Kate Dibiasky (Lawrence) and her Professor Peter Mindy (DiCaprio) who make a horrifying discovery of a comet barreling down to earth in six months and 14 days.

After their discovery, they’re quickly brought to the white house to discuss their findings. Soon they’re meeting with the president (Streep), who seems oblivious and disinterested in the pressing discovery of the Michigan scientists.

Deciding to bring this huge news to the public themselves, Kate and Dr. Mindy decide to share their news in whatever way they can, but no one seems to believe them.

Skipping towards the end of the Netflix original, we see the president and the two frantic scientists go head to head with each other. In other words, they’re almost seen as campaigning against each other. “Look up” being the scientific slogan, and “Don’t look up” being the president’s slogan.

Which side would you choose if there was a possibility of the world ending?

Image courtesy of Pixabay.