Movie Review: The Fallout

Movie Review: The Fallout

Maddy Carroll '22, Editor-In-Chief

Disclaimer: This article contains content that may not be suitable for younger students. It also may include spoilers!

The new Gen Z movie, The Fallout, discusses topics regarding school shootings and goes in depth about how it affects the kids involved. When I saw this advertised on my social media, I was very intrigued to watch it. This topic is so prevalent and most desensitized to this generation because of how often it happens. I was interested to see how they would unravel the message.  

The movie starts with protagonist Veda (played by Jenna Ortega) going to school like it’s a normal day. Then suddenly when she goes to the bathroom and all of that changes.

She runs into a girl, Mia (played by Maddie Ziegler) in the bathroom. All of a sudden they hear gunshots. The two girls hid in the bathroom stall. This scene in the stall shows the true and raw emotions.

Suddenly a classmate runs into the bathroom, with blood all over him saying that his brother had been shot.

After this dramatic scene, the rest of the movie is about how this event affected Veda and Mia emotionally and how they deal with this trauma. The two 16 year olds become friends while talking through their reactions.

This movie shows the unfiltered life of a Gen Z teenager, who also happens to be going through the trauma of a school shooting.

Having Ortega and Ziegler play these characters was very interesting since they are some actresses we have grown up watching. It is a very impactful movie, and I definitely recommend watching it.

Image courtesy of ccnull.