2022 National Collegiate Football Championship

Ellis Pajcic '22, Staff Writer

This year’s matchup was between the Georgia Bulldogs and the Alabama Crimson Tide, a rematch of the SEC Championship from earlier this season. Alabama came out on top 41-24, with their starting quarterback, Bryce Young, who received his first Division 1 offer as an eighth grade student, leading his team to victory.

However, that was weeks ago and didn’t mean nearly as much as this game, THE game. Monday finally came and the line was set, Georgia was favored by three points over arguably the best college football program ever. This was partly due to Alabama missing star, wide receiver John Metchie with a torn ACL; however, kickoff was inevitable. Georgia had quarterback Stetson Bennett under center accompanied by the best defense in college football. Kickoff was underway and Alabama had the first opportunity to put points on the board.

It was a slow start for both teams; field goal after field goal, then all of a sudden the little momentum Alabama had was taken away from them. Their star receiver, Jameson Williams, had suffered a nasty injury to his knee on a 40-yard reception, which led to him getting walked off the field with his arms around someone on each side. He would not return to the game due to him having torn his ACL.

Alabama still managed to keep the lead going into half, 9-6.  The game didn’t get much more interesting in the third quarter, with Georgia scoring the only points of the quarter with a one yard touchdown run by star running back, Zamir White.

The fourth quarter was when things picked up; Alabama drove the ball down field multiple times, but all three ended in field goals. This came back to bite them, having them being outscored 20-9 in the third quarter and 33-18 in the final. Georgia’s top tier defense held a powerful Alabama offense to only one touchdown.

The Georgia Bulldogs were National Champions once again.

Image courtesy of Carol M.